- 450ml water
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 packet filo pastry
- 400g almonds, whole
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Crunchy Nut® Corn Flakes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
1. Place syrup ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer until a light syrup has formed and the sugar is completely dissolved. This will take about 20 minutes.
3. Allow to cool and then strain.
4. Place in the refrigerator.
1. Pre-heat oven to 170°C.
2. Liberally butter a 30cm x 20cm baking dish.
3. Remove filo sheets and cut to fit the baking dish, allow an extra cm for each sheet, as it shrinks during cooking.
4. Place almonds into a food processor and allow to become fairly fine.
5. Lightly crush Kellogg's® Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes.
6. Place into a bowl and combine well with sugar.
7. Brush the first sheet of pastry liberally with melted butter and place into the bottom of your baking dish, repeat 5 times, spoon 1/3 almond mix over pastry and repeat process until you have used up the almonds.
8. Place the final 3 layers of pastry on top and carefully cut through the top layer only to make 16 squares, this makes it easier to cut once cooked.
9. Place into the oven for 30 minutes, then increase temperature to 200°C and bake for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and immediately pour over the syrup evenly.
11. Allow to stand at least 1 hour before serving.