These tender and flakey biscuits are perfect just as they are but can be easily transformed
into cheesy delights.
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
1. In medium bowl, mix together cereal and buttermilk. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cereal is softened.
2. In large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add cereal mixture, stirring only until combined. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently a few times. Roll out to about 1 cm (1/2-inch) thickness. Cut with floured biscuit cutter. (Or press into circle and cut with knife into wedges.) Place on ungreased baking sheet.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water; brush biscuits. Bake at 230°C (450°F) for about 12 minutes or until light brown. Serve hot.
Variations:Cheese Biscuits - Add 1/2 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese to the flour mixture.
Drop Biscuits – Increase buttermilk to 1 cup. Decrease flour to 1 1/3 cup. Drop by rounded spoon onto ungreased baking sheet.