Nutty Banana Bars
These are very moreish and sophisticated afternoon treat. It can be made up to 2-3 days ahead and kept covered in an airtight container. Use your favourite mixture of nuts for the topping or a mixture of dried fruits if you would prefer.
- 1/2 cup (100g) margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 1/4 cup (50g) soft brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana (ripe and spotted)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (100g) margarine
- 1/2 cup (100g) soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (55ml) reduced fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 cup mixed chopped nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, pistachios (use raisins, chopped apricots and dates if preferred)
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Corn Flakes, roughly crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Grease a 20cm x20cm pan.
3. Grease and line the base with a piece of baking paper.
4. In a food processor add the margarine, soft brown sugar, flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
5. Process in a few short bursts until evenly mixed.
6. Meanwhile, peel and squash the soft banana in a bowl.
7. Add the banana and beaten egg and process until lightly mixed in.
8. Pour the mixture evenly into the pan and spread to each corner using a spoon.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until just firm.
10. Meanwhile, make the topping.
11. Melt the margarine, sugar, milk and vanilla in a heavy based pan.
12. Heat until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the Kellogg’s® Corn Flakes and chopped nuts (or fruits if using).
13. Remove the sponge from the oven and spread with the runny honey.
14. Tip the caramelised Kellogg’s® Corn Flakes and nut mixture over the top and lightly press so they cover the cake evenly.
15. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
16. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a board and cutting into bars.