Spiced Rhubarb and All-Bran Breaky Bowl
From Justine Schofield of Everyday Gourmet: I love a nutritionally balanced breakfast every morning because it sets me up for the rest of the day. You can jazz up breakfast cereals – just like my high-fibre favourite All-Bran® – by making delicious homemade fruit compotes. Here I use rhubarb and strawberry, but you can change the fruit up depending on the season.
- 1 large bunch rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 Granny apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pod, split
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scrapped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 cups Kellogg’s® All-Bran® Original
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt
- 1 large handful of hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 handful of pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful of hemp seeds
1. For the rhubarb compote, combine all the ingredients together along with 3 tablespoons of water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes, or until the rhubarb just starts to fall apart. Cool.
2. Place a large dollop of yoghurt in 4 shallow bowls, and then add the All-Bran® followed by the rhubarb compote. Garnish with the hazelnuts and seeds and if you would like a little extra sweetness, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
Tip: Rhubarb compote can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.